The Authoring Tool lets you control what, when, where, why and how you want your experience to play out. It also lets you create different projects, organize project media, locations, virtual inventory and more. You can author branching scenarios or use our Adaptive Content Engine to generate complex storylines with ease. Let’s take a closer look.
Dashboard–Your Creative Control Room
The dashboard has everything you need to create your experience and manage your projects.
The main sections of the dashboard are:
- Authoring: Create and manage scripts and script launchers from this view.
- Catalogs: Manage catalogs to organize assets, locations, characters and more.
- Media: Upload and store media (images, sounds and video) to be used in your experiences.
- Manage: Manage different app configurations, prepare apps for publishing.
- Sharing: Generate QR codes to share your experiences.
- Collaborators: Add, delete, and manage team members.
- Analytics: Monitor your usage (API calls, storage limits, etc).
- Downloads: Access our Unity templates
Scripts are at the core of interactive mobile app development
This is what drives the action! Using scripts, you can easily drag-and-drop interaction points, catalog items and make them happen at the exact time and place you want. Your entire experience is defined in a script. Whether is sequential, branching, open-world or conditional our script editor is the professional tool you have been seeking. It is made up of three parts:
- Frames - Each script is made up of one or more frames. These frames can depend on one another or act independently.
- Frame Editor - This is made up of three distinct parts.
- Precondition - (ex. When the user is within 20 meters from a GPS point, When the user has collected 5 items, When it is raining, etc…)
- Frame Resources - This could be playing a sound, making an AR asset appear, adding to the user’s inventory or one of many more possibilities
- Postcondition - Something to check after the resources have been activated.
- Resource Collection - All of the possible resources that can be used in a frame.
Catalogs are the backbone of the authoring tool. They allow you to organize the things you want to use in your experience by category. There are several types of catalogs: Collectibles, Locations, Media, Characters, Tours, Crafting Recipes, AR Assets, Story Points and many more. You can use catalog items in your scripts. The main catalog editor looks like this:
As you can see, the editor has three main parts:
- The list of catalog items.
- A place to edit the values of an item
- A list of all the catalogs in your project
Certain catalogs have special editors such as a location catalog. This makes it easy to create GPS points that you can use in your experience.